Monday, April 23, 2012

Troublesome Words

We all have them, usually they are homonyms, those words that we use incorrectly.  To, too, two; there, their, they're. We can't seem to escape them, and the wrong one can make a huge difference in what you are trying to say.

Here are some that I look for when I CP and edit in my own writing:

rode -- road
then -- than (while not homonyms, I find many people flip these around)
past -- passed (I constantly ask my husband on this one)
one -- won
effect -- affect (I don't see this one much, but recently had it pointed out to me in some work things)

What troublesome words do you have to watch out for?

3 comments:

  1. advice -- advise ...I have to say the word out loud when I'm writing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, this is a cool post Mary because we all have them. Effect and affect are the two I REALLY struggle with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not that I don't KNOW the right word to use. It's just my fingers type the wrong ones. I have a bad habit of writing WRITE instead of RIGHT. But I think a lot of writers make that mistake. We're used to writing 'write' more than 'right'. lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love reading comments and will respond by e-mail as soon as possible.